Introduction: Section 316.193, Florida Statutes, requires ignition interlock devices to be installed on the vehicles of certain person convicted of DUI.
Upon referral from DHSMV, Bridgeway Center DUI Program staff will discuss issues related to Ignition Interlock Device (IID) violations with the offender in order to prevent future violations.
When an IID is Required Section 316.193, Florida Statutes, requires an IID to be installed in the vehicle(s) of certain persons convicted of DUI, as indicated by the chart below.
|DUI Conviction||Ignition Interlock Requirement|
|First Conviction||If Court Ordered|
|First Conviction if BAL is 0.15 or above, or minor in car||At least 6 months|
|Second Conviction||At least 1 year|
|Second Conviction if BAL is 0.15 or above, or minor in car||At least 2 years|
|Third Conviction||At least 2 years|
|Four of More Convictions (Condition of Hardship License)||At least 5 years|
Costs to the Defendant
Contact IID Vendor for installation and monthly calibration fees.
Below is a list of various reasons that may cause an IID violation.
- For all Ignition Interlock Devices installed on or after July 1, 2013 the new mandated fail point for the ignition interlock device has been lowered from 0.05 to 0.025. However, the court may choose a lower threshold for the device. Ignition Interlock Devices installed prior to July 1, 2013 the mandated fail point is .05.
- Any two breath tests above the 0.05 breath alcohol level upon initial startup of the vehicle.
- Any retest above the 0.05 breath alcohol level.
- Any evidence of equipment tampering that is determined to be the result of alcohol use.
- Any refusal to submit to a required rolling retest.
IID Violation Fees
- $25 - First Violation Appointment Fee
- $55 - Second Violation Appointment Fee (Case Management Plan)
- $45 - Monthly Fee for IID monitoring appointments
- $55 - Third Violation Appointment Fee (Referral to Treatment is Required). Additional fee of $5 if DRI is older than 6 months.
- $25 - First Violation and Monthly Missed Appointment Fee
- $55 - Second and Third Violation Missed Appointment Fee
Removal of the Device
The EOP date is on the driving record. In cases where the IID time is extended as a result of a third or subsequent IID violation, the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles will send an email to the IID Vendor and DUI Program advising them of the correct EOP date.